On May 12, 1989 the Facility for Intelligent Decision Support in Water Resources (FIDS) has been officially open at the University of Manitoba in Winnipeg with assistance of Manitoba Hydro (video from the opening ceremony). FIDS was (and still is) a place where all my graduate students were/are working. From the Department of Civil Engineering, FIDS moved to the Natural Resources Institute of the University of Manitoba and in 2000 to the University of Western Ontario.
Twenty five years gives me an opportunity to reflect on part of my work I enjoy the most - working with young, smart, dedicated individuals. I learned from all of them a lot. I hope, I became a better person over time and I am very thankful for having an opportunity to provide something in return. I do treat all of them as my extended family. Over 25 years FIDS hosted three visiting fellows, eleven Post Doctoral fellows, seventeen Doctoral candidates and thirty six Master's candidates. Currently, FIDS is housing two Post Doctoral Fellows, five PhD candidates and two MESc students. FIDS is still publishing Water Resources Research Reports, also known, as the Blue Books. All 84 volumes are available from the FIDS web site as well as from the Western University Library. Only through the Library (since 2011), more than 18,000 copies of the Blue Books have been downloaded. After all of this, it’s time to celebrate.
On May 11 and 12, 2014 we are organizing FIDS Scientific Symposium under the title "Water Resources Systems - From School to Practice" at the University of Western Ontario in London. This gathering will give FIDS family a chance to be together again, share experience from stay in FIDS and professional life after, and have some fun. The Symposium Program is in the process of development and will be posted very soon. If you are interested in the Symposium please contact Ms. Angela Peck.
Book Floods in a Changing Climate - Risk Management by Slobodan P. Simonovic is available from Cambridge University Press. Book web page will be up within one month. By the mid 2014 it is expected that the Chinese version of the book will be available too.
Book Systems Approach to Management of Disasters: Methods and Applications by Slobodan P. Simonovic is available from Wiley and Sons Inc. Book web page ill be up within a month. Read about the book (a) in the Western Engineering News; (b) on the Prevention Web; (c) in the Western News (picture with the UWO President from the ceremony is available too); (d) in the Disaster Prevention and Management Journal; and (e) in the Natural Hazards Journal. An exiting news: the book is translated into Chinese language and is now available from the Science Press. Looking forward to hear from the Chinese audience.
Book Managing Water Resources: Methods and Tools for a Systems Approach by Slobodan P. Simonovic is available from Routledge Taylor & Francis Group. Visit my book page for details.Read the book review in the Electronic Green Journal.
- Invited panelist, Canadian Water Network (CWN) Forum on Leading Water Research,Niagara on the Lake, January 12-14, 2014.
- Invited presentation, GORE Mutual Winter Retreat "Floods in a Changing Climate - Risk Management, Canada", Toronto, Canada, January 17, 2014
- Invited presentation, Toronto Region Conservation Authority "Overview of Climate Change Research - FIDS – Western University", Toronto, Canada, January 17, 2014
- Guest speaker, National Science and Technology Center for Disaster Reduction, Taipei, Taiwan, April 9, 2014.By the invitation of the Taiwan Academy of Sciences Academia Sinica I will be visiting Taiwan during the month of April.
- Guest speaker, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan, April 10, 2014.
- Guest speaker, National Central University, Zhongli City, Taiwan, April 15, 2014.
- Guest speaker, National Chiao Tung University, Hsinchu City, Taiwan, April 17, 2014.
- Guest speaker, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan, April 22, 2014.
- Invited speaker and panelist, 2nd Annual Ontario Climate Consortium (OCC) Symposium Science and Cities - Connect, Western University, London, May 13, 2014
- Invited presentation, SAFEA (SATEC) Workshop "The development and protection of aquatic ecosystems with special considerations of climate change", Suzhou, China, May 2014. By the invitation of the Chinese State Administration of Foreign Experts Affairs (SAFEA) and Chinese Minsitry of Water Resources I will join the Canadian delegation to the 10th Workshop to be held from May 24th to 28th, 2014 in Suzhou.
- Invited speaker, Shanghai Meteorological Bureau, China Meteorological Administration, Shanghai, China May 30, 2014.
- Keynote speaker, Daily Meteo 2014 Conference, Spatial and spatio-temporal modelling of meteorological and climatic variables using open source software, University of Belgrade, Belgrade, Serbia, June 23-27, 2014.
Click here to see various media clips about my research. New addition - access to my YouTube video channel.
I am currently on a sabbatical leave and not teaching any courses.
Research in FIDS (my reserach laboratory) is in a full swing with 2 Post Doctoral fellows, 5 PhD candidates and 2 MESc students working on various research projects. My primary research interest focuses on the application of systems approach to management of complex water and environmental systems with strong focus on explicit consideration of uncertainty. Most of the current research projects are addressing the impacts of climatic change on management of water resources systems. Select Research option for more details. If in London, be sure to visit us.